Liverpool Artists’ Network Meeting – ‘Presentations Special’, Wednesday 27th June at DoES, 6.30pm – 8.30pm

Venue details:  DoES Liverpool, 1st Floor, The Tapestry, 68-76 Kempston Street, Liverpool. L3 8HL.  www.doesliverpool.com

Speakers at the LAN meetings usually talk about a project that they are working on or a project they want to start.  This is great! BUT, we also want to encourage speakers to come and present about themselves and their work, to say, this is who I am/what I do/what I think.

We’re hoping that many of you will want to speak, but as we don’t have all night…  we’re going to keep the presentations short and sweet.  The presentation format is slightly different from when we did it at the Bluecoat – you will be asked to show 10 images, each for 40 seconds. The images advance automatically and you talk along to the images.  So you get less than 7 minutes to do your presentation.

Other than the format of 10 slides and 40 seconds per slide, you can talk about whatever you want: your interests in general, work you have made in the past, exhibitions or projects you’ve been part of, specific themes that interest you, other artists who inspire you – whatever you think you need to say to connect with the kind of people who you want to link up with.  Remember, it’s mostly a visual experience, so choose some good images.

We have a limited number of spaces for the presentations, so if you would like to introduce Liverpool to your work, please email us ASAP to let us know.  We’ll take names on a first come first served basis.

Following on from the presentations, there will be a short 10 minute break, for you to meet, mingle and grab a brew. We will be rounding up the evening by leaving a bit of time for the usual presentations, so if you want to mention an upcoming event/project idea (without using slides) just let us know.

And if you’ve got any questions at all just get in touch.  We look forward to seeing you there!

 

 

Advertisements

Notes from Liverpool Artists’ Network Meeting Wednesday 7th March 2018 at John Moores University, Liverpool School of Art and Design, 6.30pm – 8.30pm.

News from LAN

Colette and Josie have been in touch with Islington Mill and Paradise Works in Manchester to start discussions about a LAN meeting that would happen in Manchester, for artists and arts organisations from Manchester and Liverpool to attend to build links and make connections.  We want to know if LAN members would come to a meeting in Manchester and if they would prefer the meeting to be on an evening or a weekend.

More people in the meeting seemed to prefer a weekday evening meeting and it was suggested that the meeting could coincide with a visit to a gallery to see an exhibition

We would like to have another meeting where members do presentations, similar to the ‘Pecha Kucha’ meeting at the Bluecoat, as the response was very good.  We are looking for a venue that would accommodate this meeting (with projector facilities) and if anyone has any ideas please let us know.

 

Patrick from Art in Liverpool

Patrick spoke about the new Art in Liverpool Newspaper which has been funded by advertising.  It will be a monthly newspaper.  Art in Liverpool is keen to engage with the public living in the boroughs outside of the Liverpool City region to encourage more people form these area to visit art exhibitions and take an interest  in artistic activity.  People living in these areas are currently less likely to visit an art exhibition than people living in the Liverpool City region and so lots of magazines are available in the boroughs outside of the City Region.  If any arts organisations are interested in advertising, a quarter page in the newspaper is £75.

 

Art in Liverpool is leading the fringe festival that will run alongside Liverpool Biennial this year.  There will be an announcement soon about funding which will be available for artistic activity happening in the boroughs in Merseyside that are outside of the Liverpool City region.  Art in Liverpool wants to help artists to put on a vibrant Biennial fringe festival and will help with anything they can, for instance connecting artists with each other or recommending exhibition spaces and giving other advice.

patrick@artinliverpool.com

 

Rob and Tony from Road Studios

Road is looking for proposals from artists to exhibit in their gallery during the Biennial.  The application form is available to download from the website http://roadstudios.co.uk/download-proposal-form/ Deadline is 26th April.

 

John Hyatt – JMU

John has been working on a project to recognise the anniversary of the May 1968 protests which began in Paris.  There will be events happening between 10th and 13th May in the Fabric District.  If anyone has any work that relates to the 168 or is interested in doing a talk or getting involved in any way then please get in touch.  J.Hyatt@ljmu.ac.uk

 

Barry Webb – Project Nepomuk

Barry has been working on Project Nepomuk, a cross cultural project that will include a concert performance of Nepumuk the Opera on 29th and 30th June in Old Christ Church, Waterloo, as part of a mini Bohemian Summer Festival. For more information see www.projectnepomuk.com.

There will be an associated art exhibition, with a chance to sell your art at the intervals of the concerts on the 29th and 30th, and during the day of the 30th.  There will be a larger Fair with contemporary art, books, and vintage art for sale on Sunday 1st July.  If anyone is interested in exhibiting and taking a stall, please get in touch artfair@bohemianaffairs.com

There will be a Launch event – a Bohemian Evening of Entertainment with Czech Beer at 19.30pm on March 24th at Casa Bar on Hope Street.  Everyone is invited.  Entrance fee £2 on the door.

 

Lisa Langen exhibition

Lisa spoke about her exhibition at The Atkinson,  Landing Gallery in Southport.  The exhibition runs until 2nd April

Liverpool Artists’ Network Meeting Wednesday 7th March 2018 at John Moores University, Liverpool School of Art and Design, 6.30pm – 8.30pm.

Liverpool Artists’ Network Meeting Wednesday 7th March 2018 at John Moores University, Liverpool School of Art and Design, 6.30pm – 8.30pm.
 
Our next Liverpool Artists’ Network meeting will be held at JMU’s Liverpool School of Art and Design, in the John Lennon Building, Lecture Room 2.
 
The Liverpool Artists’ Network meetings are there for you to meet other artists, share ideas, get feedback, make connections and discuss collaboration opportunities.  It’s all very informal and usually ends with some of the group going to the pub for a few after.  As an attendee you are invited to speak to the room.  Maybe you have an idea that you want to sound out, or you want to start a specific project and you need to recruit people to work on it, or you’re an established organisation with services to offer artists.
 
We want you to make something happen.
 
We would like you to get in touch if you want to speak at the meeting, or if you really want to share something but you’re not the public speaking type, we can speak on your behalf, if you bring the details to the meeting.  Anyone who is interested in your idea can then speak with you in a more informal way after the presentations.
 
Please email liverpoolartnet@yahoo.co.uk  if you would like to speak at the meeting,
 
Here are some topics that have been discussed before:
 
Light Night
 
Liverpool Biennial
 
New projects
 
Sharing resources
 
Research
 
Joint programming
 
Group exhibitions
 
Joint promotion
 
 
Please also let us know if you’re coming to the meeting – email liverpoolartnet@yahoo.co.uk.
 
The address for Liverpool School of Art and Design  is: John Lennon Building, 2 Duckinfield Street, Liverpool, L3 5RD and the meeting is to be held in Lecture Room 2
 
Best Wishes
 
If you are talking about Liverpool Artists’ Network on Twitter please use the #LivArtNet hashtag.

Liverpool Artists’ Network Christmas meet up 7pm on Wednesday 20th December 2017

Hello everyone,

After the last meeting in the Bluecoat quite a few people went to the pub and we had a very nice time and some great conversations, so we have decided to continue that theme and make the next LAN meeting just an informal get together in the pub for drinks, chat and if you want, some Christmas merriment. It’s a sort of office Christmas party for all you people who don’t work in an office (The LAN office being the pub).

We are meeting at 7pm on Wednesday 20th December at The Railway 18 Tithebarn Street, Liverpool. L22DT http://www.therailwayliverpool.com

Put it in your diary and we hope lots of you can come. We’ll have a proper type LAN meeting in the new year.

Best Wishes

LAN

Liverpool Artists’ Network Meeting – ‘Petcha Koucha Special, Thursday 21st September at the Bluecoat, 6.30pm – 8.30pm

Liverpool Artists’ Network Meeting – ‘Petcha Koucha Special, Thursday 21st September at the Bluecoat, 6.30pm – 8.30pm

This time round the Liverpool Artists’ Network meeting will be a little bit different….

Come and join the Liverpool Artists’ Network meeting at the Bluecoat, Thursday 21st September, 6.30pm till 8.30pm.

Speakers at the LAN meetings usually talk about a project that they are working on or a project they want to start.  This is great! BUT, we also want to encourage speakers to come and present about themselves and their work, to say, this is who I am/what I do/what I think.

We’re hoping that many of you will want to speak, but as we don’t have all night…  we’re going to keep the presentations short and sweet and in the style of a ‘ Petcha Koucha’. Pecha Kucha is a simple presentation format where you show 20 images, each for 20 seconds. The images advance automatically and you talk along to the images.  So you get less than 7 minutes to do your presentation.

It will be fun!  We promise.

Other than the format of 20 slides and 20 seconds per slide, you can talk about whatever you want: your interests in general, work you have made in the past, exhibitions or projects you’ve been part of, specific themes that interest you, other artists who inspire you – whatever you think you need to say to connect with the kind of people who you want to link up with.  Remember, it’s mostly a visual experience, so choose some good images.

We have a limited number of spaces for the Petcha Koucha, so if you would like to introduce Liverpool to your work, please email liverpoolartnet@yahoo. co.uk ASAP to let us know.  We’ll take names on a first come first served basis.

Following on from the Petcha Kouchas, there will be a short 10 minute break, for you to meet, mingle and grab a brew. We will be rounding up the evening by leaving a bit of time for the usual presentations, so if you want to mention an upcoming event/project idea (without using slides) just let us know.

And if you’ve got any questions at all just get in touch.  We look forward to seeing you there!

Notes from the meeting Sunday 11th June 2017 at The Walker Art Gallery, 2pm – 4pm.

The meeting started in the resource area outside the current ‘Transparency’ exhibition, which is part of an exhibitions programme that the Walker is delivering in partnership with the Arts Council Collection.  Angie Vanasse from the Walker Art Gallery gave information about the Art Council Collection partnership programme and a short tour of the exhibition.  As part of the programme the Walker is providing workshops that are designed to be especially useful to artists, as well as open to the general public.  This has been very successful and LAN members are welcome to join the mailing list for the Programme to receive updates about future events.  Please email  ACCSessions@liverpoolmuseums.org.uk to get on the mailing list.

Josie from LAN gave info about the Network, why is was set up and what it aims to do.  The initial idea was to provide a platform for artists to build relationships that may result in exciting work and it’s important to keep that in focus when considering the success of LAN.  It’s not always an easy process, making connections with the right people for you.  Josie asked for feedback about the current format of the meeting and asked how the attendees would feel if a future meeting had more of a focus on artists presenting about their own work, rather than presenting about a project they wish to carry out.

If you have an opinion on this please respond via email.  We want to know what you think – liverpoolartnet@yahoo.co.uk

Liverpool Biennial 2018

Josie spoke briefly about Liverpool Biennial 2018.  The 10th edition of the UK biennial of contemporary art will be titled Beautiful world, where are you? and will take place from 14 July – 28 October 2018.  It might be time to start considering if you want to use the opportunity to facilitate an exhibition or event to run alongside the Biennial and how you might want to go about raising awareness of your event.  There are many ways this can be done aside from the usual advertising with Art in Liverpool. There have in the past been various printed publications about the exhibitions that happen on the fringes of the Biennial.  It may not be practical or desirable to print a publication with all exhibitions listed but working as a team, with joint advertising can have a great impact and allow you control over how your event or exhibition is presented to the public.

Adrian Jeans – Window exhibition project.

Adrian spoke about an idea that he has been developing, to use windows to display art.  He is interested in working with other people on this project and would like to arrange an initial meeting.  In the past Adrian has exhibited in a shop window in Chinatown and also in his own property window in a residential area in Kensington.  Both were very successful in terms of how many people they reached on a daily basis.  There is little effort required to maintain a window exhibition, for example no invigilation is needed, but the results can be very rewarding.  Adrian would like to hear from people who are interested in being involved in his project and also people who have ideas about window spaces that could be used.  Please contact him at

Kevin Casey  – “Shouldn’t Throw Stones”

Kevin presented his current work in progress “Shouldn’t Throw Stones” – (The view of a night watchman) to the group.  Kevin works as a Night Watchman at the Pilkington Glass former HWQ in St Helens and has been documenting the remains and archives of the site.  He is planning to produce a book and has been collaborating with a writer and graphic designer on the project.

You can see more about the project here:

http://www.thedoublenegative.co.uk/2017/02/in-pictures-the-night-watchman-at-pilkington-glass/

Kevin asked for feedback about this work.  He is also looking for people who have worked at the Pilkington Glass headquarters in St Helens to take part by allowing him to photograph them on the site.  If you would like to contact Kevin please email him: info@lensbasedmedia.org

 

 

 

Liverpool Artists’ Network Meeting Sunday 11th June 2017 at The Walker Art Gallery, 2pm – 4pm.

The Walker Art Gallery is kindly hosting our next Liverpool Artists’ Network meeting, which is to be held on a sunny Sunday afternoon for a bit of a change this time.  I imagine the Walker itself needs no introduction to you but you may not be so well informed about its project in association with the Arts Council Collection National Partners Programme. We’ve been invited to meet in the new resource area for the ‘Transparency’ exhibition on the first floor landing for an introduction to the project and a quick tour of the exhibition and then we will head down to a meeting room for the presentations.

The Liverpool Artists’ Network meetings are there for you to meet other artists, share ideas, get feedback, make connections and discuss collaboration opportunities.  It’s all very informal and usually ends with some of the group going to the pub for a few after.  As an attendee you are invited to speak to the room.  Maybe you have an idea that you want to sound out, or you want to start a specific project and you need to recruit people to work on it, or you’re an established organisation with services to offer artists.

We want you to make something happen.

We would like you to get in touch if you want to speak at the meeting, or if you really want to share something but you’re not the public speaking type, we can speak on your behalf, if you bring the details to the meeting.  Anyone who is interested in your idea can then speak with you in a more informal way after the presentations.

Please email liverpoolartnet@yahoo.co.uk  if you would like to speak at the meeting,

Here are some topics that have been discussed before:

New projects

Sharing resources

Research

Joint programming

Group exhibitions

Joint promotion

Please also let us know if you’re coming to the meeting – email liverpoolartnet@yahoo.co.uk.

The Walker Art Gallery‘s address is: William Brown St, Liverpool L3 8EL

Keep promoting Liverpool Artists’ Network.  The more members we can recruit, the better we can be. If you are talking about Liverpool Artists’ Network on Twitter please use the #LivArtNet hashtag.